Transitioning your child’s nursery into a room fit for a toddler is a fun milestone. It may be emotional to pack up the baby’s items, but your child is growing. A new space will aid in development and give your child a sense of independence while building his or her confidence.
Redesigning the space can be easy. If your child can help, it will make the transition go even more smoothly.
- Remove the crib and replace with a toddler bed. When your child becomes the greatest escape artist, you’ll know it’s time for a ‘big kid’ bed. If your crib converts to a toddler bed, simply follow the manufacturer’s instructions to make the change. Another great option is to use a twin bed and add protective mesh railings to prevent your child from rolling out of bed. Have your child help pick out fun sheets. Being involved will make them more likely to get excited to move to the new bed.
- Pack up all the clothes and toys that your child has out grown. Have a donate pile, save for later, and throw away pile. As you move through the room, every item should be in one of these piles.
- Replace the changing table with a desk or play table. Your child will love having his or her own space to create, draw and play. Add bins for storage and toys.
- Clean out the closet and organize the space. Odd baby gifts that you never used and baby clothes that you’d like to save for later, or are waiting to grow into can be stored underneath the bed in storage containers. Add low shelving for books, shoes or clothes that your child can reach. You’re building your child’s independence when they are able to do things for themselves.
- Childproof the area. Make sure furniture is placed safely away from windows so your child can’t crawl up on something and lean on the screen or window. Protect them from electrical hazards with safety plugs and tie up any cords that may become a problem.
- Exchange the rocking chair for an arm chair you and your child can cuddle in. As they grow, they’ll want to curl up with a good book in the chair and have their own quiet time.
Once you’ve successfully transformed the room for your toddler, it’s time to deal with the piles. A small dumpster is perfect for the diaper pail, old crib (if it can’t be reused), expired/recalled baby items, and other clothing and junk. Because you organized as you went, your donate, save and sell piles can be dealt with quickly making clean up a breeze.
If you’re ready to make the changeover, call ABH services for your dumpster rental needs. Our weekend dumpster rental service is the perfect option for the job so you’ll be able to toss out old and expired child’s items. Give us a call at 781-941-2422 or visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices to learn more about our dumpster sizes.