The winter months are approaching and bringing with them freezing rain, ice, and snow. We tend to spend more time indoors to avoid the cold and begin to look for ways to stay busy within the confines of our cozy homes. Soon enough Spring fever will invade our minds urging us to get outdoors, so why not stay busy this winter with a bathroom remodel? It is the perfect time to revamp your existing space to bring new life to your home. That way, by the time we thaw out, we’ll have more time to spend with friends and family.
For a bathroom remodel, here is a list of the tools you’ll need:
- Safety goggles and mask
- Sledge hammer
- Trash bin/dumpster
- Drain Remover
- Jack Hammer
- Razor Blade
- 5-gallon buckets
Once you’ve gathered your tools, follow the steps below that we’ve outlined to demolish your existing room so you can start with a fresh canvas regarding your remodel:
- Remove the toilet: Turn off the water and disconnect the water supply. Remove the bolts followed by the toilet and cover the hole with a rag, a board or cardboard to block any odors and to prevent injuries.
- Remove the vanity: Disconnect the water supply…assuming you’ve already turned off the water in the above step. Disconnect the drain. Then, loosen any clips that are under the sink and pry the sink out of its base.
- Remove the tub/shower: First remove any plastic area around the tub or shower. Remove the drain, and cut the drywall around the tub. Cut through any caulk as well.
- Turn off the electricity from the breaker box at this point, and then remove any electrical outlet cover plates.
- Use a chisel and hammer to remove tiles from the walls.
- Remove the drywall and any damaged insulation if not all of it; more than likely you will find dry rot and wet insulation which is at risk for growing mold.
- Remove the flooring. Each type of flooring will differ in their removal, but the tools mentioned above will help you complete this step.
As you work through these steps, simply toss out the debris as you go to avoid injury and additional mess. Within a day you’ll have completely demolished your old outdated bathroom and will be ready to bring your vision to fruition of a beautiful updated area.
If you haven’t had any experience doing a bathroom remodel, or aren’t sure about the complexity of the project, rest easy and call in the professionals. At ABH Services, we have the right tools for the job to demolish your bathroom or any other room in your house.
Call our team of experts today at 781-941-2422 with questions or to request a quote. You can also visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices to learn more our demolition services.