Have you been thinking about renovating your bathroom this year? Maybe you’ve decided to master the real estate market and are considering flipping a home. Any type of remodel and renovation will have its share of demolition needs. The term demolition refers to breaking down and removing old construction in order to make room for new materials. It could be tearing out walls and flooring, or removing cabinets, sinks, and bathtubs. The key to a successful demolition is to understand the safety precautions necessary when undergoing these types of projects.
At ABH Services, we’ve handled successful demolitions for over 20 years. Here are a few of our safety tips that have ensured our success over the years.
- Always start any project with the right safety gear. Protective eye wear, hard hats, work gloves, dust masks, and work boots are essential to protect your body from injuries.
- Shut off the power to the house and test the electrical wiring for any hot spots. An electrical voltage tester makes this a simplified job.
- Shut off all the water and gas to the home. Depending on the area you are renovating, your needs may be different. However, by shutting off the gas and water, you won’t run the risk of accidentally knocking out a pipe or gas line that may result in a large-scale disaster.
- Make sure you don’t remove any load-bearing support beams or walls. If they must come out, make sure you are working with an engineer or expert to properly brace the area first.
- Be mindful of the material you are demolishing. Older homes may have lead paint and asbestos and require extra care in removal and disposing.
- If you are tearing out walls and cabinets down to the studs, remove all screws, nails, staples, and materials that are no longer needed. It will clear the way for the new construction and reduce the overall installment time.
- Always keep your work area clean. Have a shop vac nearby to clear up debris. You’ll avoid stepping on lose nails and remove the risk of injury. A trash bin on wheels or a heavy duty trash bag is helpful for small pieces or for moving debris and garbage to your dumpster.
Demolition jobs can be fun, but they are time consuming as well. For help with your demolition projects, consider giving us a call at ABH Services. We have the tools, skills, manpower, and equipment to safely handle any demolition project. If you are worried that you lack the skills or equipment to tear out your old kitchen, or flip an old house, we’ve got your back.
Call us today to discuss your needs or to schedule an appointment for Demolition Services. Reach us at 781-941-2422 or follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices.