We’ve talked about cleaning out your attic and how to make the project more manageable, but there’s another space in most people’s homes that can become a dumping ground for boxes of clutter: your basement. A basement full of clutter not only wastes space in your home, but can also become a hugely stressful task if avoided for too long. Procrastinating on the chore of emptying out your basement only complicates the problem. If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, and you can’t seem to get the project done, we can help. At ABH Services, our Disposal and Cleanout team can make quick work of even the most cluttered basement spaces, so that you can regain control over this useful area of your home.
If you want to attempt the project yourself, read on. One important point is to break down the project into manageable portions. Instead of trying to tackle the entire basement in a day or two, which will lead to burn out for almost anyone. Allow yourself to focus on one area or one box at a time. You can plan out your basement declutter on paper, separating it out into categories or sections of the room if you wish. Another tip is to set a timer for a set amount of time and work on decluttering until the timer goes off. Then you can decide whether to continue for another timer session or be done for the day. If you continue these sessions over the course of a few weeks, you can clean out your basement around your own schedule while avoiding overwhelm.
There are many organizing methods out there to suit different tastes and lifestyles. Look into the different methods and figure out which one sounds like it will work for you. Or you can follow the basic process outlined here. Whichever method you choose, the most important thing is that you stick with it.
Steps to decluttering your basement:
- Have lots of trash bags on hand.
- Set boxes or bags aside for recycling and donating items.
- Work in small sections at a time, moving from one part of the room to another.
- Designate a box for each group of items. Inexpensive plastic storage tubs and plastic utility shelving can be your two best friends during this process, even if you choose to upgrade these options at a later date.
- Make sure to label all boxes with what’s inside, and keep items grouped together in categories.
- Be honest with yourself about whether or not you should keep each item. If you’re not going to use it, it’s just taking up valuable space. It’s better to recycle or donate those items and gain your space back.
If after beginning this process you find yourself sitting in the middle of your basement surrounded by intimidating piles of junk that you have no idea how to manage, don’t worry. At ABH Services, we can handle your basement cleanout for you. No matter how many items you’ve accumulated over the years, our experienced team can take care of the situation efficiently. Call us at 781-941-2422 for information on our Disposal and Cleanout Services or to schedule an appointment. For more tips on how to remove clutter from your home, visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices.