Springtime often means spring cleaning to many people. It is a time to organize your home and clear out unused items. In most cases, it will take a day or two to go through the home and sift out items that are cluttering up your home.
But what do you do if you are downsizing? This is a much larger project but with amazing benefits if you put in the work. Homeowners downsize for a number of reasons. Retirees, empty-nesters, elderly persons moving to assisted living, and those concerned with living costs are just a few of the types of people that might be looking for a smaller, more accessible place.
Over the years, we accumulate stuff. Too much stuff. However, if we have the room to store it we do. If you are ready to move out of a home that you have occupied for decades, or if you are downsizing, the best thing you can do is get organized. At ABH Services we have experience with the emotional toil that comes from cleaning out a lifetime worth of memories. Here are some tips that will help reduce clutter while keeping your memories safe.
- Organize clothing by keeping pieces that work with other garments. Hold on to clothing that will go with other things and get rid of the items that only work with specific pieces. Get the most out of mixing and matching and you’ll find you only need to keep 30-40 pieces.
- Set aside family albums and pictures. These may take up more room than you are aware, and a smaller living space may mean that they can’t all be displayed. Gently pack them in a water-tight container that can go under the bed for storage and then change them out periodically in your new home. Transfer loose pictures to a DVD that can be watched over and over.
- Clean your garage with your new home in mind. What will you need? Chances are three-fourths of what is stored there won’t be needed in a new home.
- Like your garage, your basement will have a lot of unused items. Use storage totes to minimize decorations for holidays. Toss out old décor and vases that you no longer use.
- Kitchen cabinets may be minimal in your new home so plan accordingly. Utensils and serving dishes, pots and pans can be sorted to provide you with the right amount of pieces you need in your new home. We tend to love investing in gadgets, but truly, we don’t need as much as we store in our current kitchens.
Downsizing can be fun and lift a load off your shoulders. You’ll be amazed at how much space you can free up if you work smart. Anything that has you saying, “Maybe I’ll use it someday” needs to go. You’ve been saying it for years and probably not ever actually using it. Enlist the help of family members so they can take what they want and get rid of the rest. Enjoy looking through albums and old memories together.
For the rest of your unused items, call ABH Services. Our Disposal and Cleanout crew can help you dispose of everything you no longer need leaving you with a clean, organized home ready for the next chapter in your life. Call us at 781-941-2422. You can also visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices for more information.