Any move, big or small, can accumulate a lot of trash. There are boxes, old clothes, mismatched socks, broken toys, and much, much more. The trick to keeping sane when you move is to have a plan. Everyone is full of suggestions and ideas when you are moving, but how many of those people are willing to roll up their sleeves and actually lend a hand.
ABH Services has spent 20 years helping homeowners, businesses, and construction crews dispose of their unwanted items. We’ve accumulated a great number of tips and tricks along the way and share them with you in hopes that your moving day is as effortless as possible.
- Start with the kitchen: Grab a medium sized box and pack it with enough place settings for you and your family. It should include glasses, coffee mugs, plates and silverware, one or two frequently used pots, a skillet, cutting board, knives and other utensils you might need. The idea is to have your immediate go-to’s all in one box so you have quick access to it in your new home when you need it. Don’t forget to include a wine or bottle opener and a coffee maker with coffee grounds.
- For the bedrooms: follow a similar model as the kitchen: Pack a set of sheets for each of your beds along with pajamas. When you get to your new home, and once everything has been unloaded, make your beds first, even if the room isn’t set up. By the time you’re done working, the last thing you’ll want to do is make a bed or hunt for the sheets. Keep this box and your kitchen box in your own car so you always know where it is.
- Label everything: A sharpie will be your new best friend. Clearly label each box so movers know what room to take it to, and so you know the contents of each box. You can go an extra step and tape up signs in the new home so movers can deposit the boxes in the correct room saving you the hassle of searching for the items.
- Dust all items before packing: It may be hard to clean before putting anything in a box, but you’ll find it’s easier to do it now rather than when you are unpacking your knick-knacks in your new space.
- Sort through your storage: Take this opportunity to truly inspect the items in storage. Old holiday decorations, clothes, toys and anything else that collects dust on your storage shelves need to go. Donate or trash the items.
Getting ready for a move can be overwhelming. The best thing you can do is take it one room at a time. As you work, throw out anything you haven’t used in over a year; you don’t need this junk cluttering up your new home. Your best bet is to rent a dumpster so the trash has a place to go as you pack up your home.
ABH Services is available for your Dumpster Rental needs. We carry dumpsters for any sized project and will drop off and pick up based on your schedule. When you move, you’ll know with confidence that you’re not dragging old things into your new home, and you’ll be relieved at the amount of things you can leave behind. Call us at 781-941-2422 to learn more about our Dumpster Rental Service. You can also visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices.