After a sewage spill, it is important to understand what can be salvaged and what needs to go. Sewage contains bacteria that are harmful to your health and the water damage associated with a sewage disaster causes mold and mildew problems.
If you’ve experienced raw sewage in your home, the best way to protect you and your family from harmful viruses and bacteria is to know what items can be cleaned and what needs to be thrown out. Restoration companies do a fabulous job in cleaning up from sewage leaks and spills, but if you are a do-it-yourselfer and want to try and tackle cleanup on your own, we have some advice on what you’ll need to do. The first step is to rent a dumpster. With a dumpster, you’ll be able to throw destroyed items out as quickly as possible. You want to avoid contamination as much as possible, so being able to carry items directly out to the dumpster will minimize the risk of spreading illnesses associated with the spill.
When dealing with any hazardous materials, you need to make sure you have the appropriate safety gear that will protect you from contaminates. Once you’re properly protected, here is a list of items that should be discarded immediately into your dumpster:
- Carpet: If the area is carpeted you’ll likely want to rip it and the padding up and throw it out. A restoration company may be able to salvage it, but generally speaking, the nasty water will seep into the layers down to the subfloor making disinfecting impossible.
- Porous items: Belongings with fabric or porous in nature will need to be assessed. If they can be professionally cleaned, you can save them. However, the cleanest course of action is to get rid of them. Pillows, furniture, and cardboard boxes all need to go.
- Foods: Any food item near the spill that is in a box will have to be thrown out. If cans and bottles can be sanitized, those can stay as long as they are thoroughly disinfected.
- Clothing: most sewage leaks happen in a basement where many of us store seasonal clothing. If it has been heavily saturated in the spill, discard the items. Items that can be washed in hot water might be able to be saved.
- Toys: Children love to put things in their mouth. Toys can be disinfected, but again, the best choice may be to throw out any toys that came into contact with the raw sewage. It is the best way to keep kids from ingesting bacteria that can make them sick.
If you experience the unfortunate disaster of a sewage spill, work quickly to minimize the damage and contamination. Call ABH Services for Dumpster Rental Services or questions pertaining to your situation. We’ll help you determine what size of dumpster you need for the job and deliver it promptly so you can begin the cleanup process as soon as possible. Call us at 781-941-2422. We are happy to help or visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices.