Home sales are up across the board in the United States. This is especially great news if you are selling your house or considering putting your home on the market. As trends go, home real estate markets are on a never-ending roller coaster of ups and downs. That doesn’t mean, however, that it is impossible to sell your home when the market is slow. It just means you need to be at your best!
Before you put your home on the market, you need to get it ready. Below are a few suggestions to help you get started:
- Get rid of the clutter. Use this opportunity to toss out items you no longer use. Set aside items that could be sold at a garage sale or donated and throw the rest of the junk out.
- Box up clutter that you just have to have. The trick is to leave more open ‘white’ space so the buyer can envision their things in the space. Less stuff makes your rooms and spaces appear larger.
- Buyers know you’re moving, but don’t want to feel like they are intruding. Pack up out-of-season clothing and neatly arrange the boxes in a small area in your garage or basement, out of the way.
- Fix and repair any small issues in the home. Loose screws, squeaky doors, and small problems in need of repair should be handled right away as their disrepair reflects on how you treat your home in terms of larger issues.
- Spend a few days beautifying your lawn. Weed, mow, and cut back overgrown hedges and bushes. The first impression of your home is based on how it appears from the outside.
- Touch up walls and baseboards with a fresh coat of paint. Paint will refresh tired looking walls and cover up nicks and scratches from years of use and living.
Other ways in which you can entice buyers is to show your home in the best light. Turn on every light and lamp in your home to create a warm, inviting space. Bake cookies to set out for visitors with a ‘thank you for visiting’ card next to the plate…just don’t leave your dirty dishes out. Play soft music in the background and keep your home clean. Finally, remove most of your family portraits and pictures as these don’t help new buyers envision the home as theirs, but rather yours. Landscape photos and paintings are better suited and more neutral so anyone can enjoy them.
When it comes to cleaning out your home and preparing it for the real estate market, give ABH Services a call. We’ll help you schedule a dumpster rental so your junk removal process is a piece of cake. In the long run, when you are free of the junk cluttering up your home, your move will be more efficient and your new home will be clutter-free.
Call us at 781-941-2422 to inquire about our Dumpster Rental Services or visit our Facebook page to learn more about our solutions at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices.