The greatest thing about friends and neighbors is that, most likely, someone knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy who can help you with your project. It could be a courteous job referral to a professional company, or a friend who is a do-it-yourselfer. You can hire the job out, or spring for pizza and beverages in trade for a few hours of help.
This time of year, one of the projects that you might want to consider is inspecting your roof, and if you’re handy enough…or if you know a guy, who knows a guy; re-shingling your roof. As we head into the fall months, it is a good idea to inspect your roof for damage it may have sustained during the stormy months. By catching damaged areas and loose shingles early, you’ll prevent water damage and property damage associated with snow and ice later on.
The first thing you’ll need after gathering a few handy friends is a dumpster. At ABH Services, we offer dumpster rentals in 4 sizes. No matter what your project may be, we have the right container for your refuse. Considering that this may be a job done outside of normal working hours, and rather, a weekend project, our weekend dumpster rental special may be the perfect thing for you.
When you evaluate your roof for damage keep these things in mind:
- Look for torn and disintegrating shingles. Carefully inspect these areas for water damage in the underlayment. Replace the worn shingles if there is no damage underneath. Consider a full roof replacement if damage is extensive.
- Check gutters and fascia boards for damage and leaks. Use the opportunity to clear out your gutters so ice-blocks are avoided this winter, and so rain and snow melt can drain properly away from your home.
- Check vents and pipes to make sure the flashing is secure. Caulk any areas where flashing is not sealed to prevent leaks. Make sure to check the chimney flashing as well.
- Inspect peaks and valleys for damage. Cleanout debris stuck in any valley that may block proper drainage. Repair the area if the situation calls for it.
- Look for hail damage. Dented or pocked shingles are not as effective in preventing proper water run-off and will wear down faster. Replace these shingles so as not to cause damage down the road.
Inspecting your roof for problems or installing a new roof should be handled with care to avoid accidents. But if you have the manpower and skills, stock up your fridge, rent your dumpster, and call a few friends. Call us to discuss the size of your project so that we can recommend the right sized dumpster for the job. We’ll drop off and pick up your dumpster so you don’t have to worry about the details.
Give us a call at 781-941-2422 when you have a project that requires a dumpster rental. Learn more about our dumpster sizes and other services on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/abhservices.